Your home must be your haven where you can relax and feel comfortable. To create this inviting atmosphere, it is important to pay attention to the details – including the walls. Hanging wallpaper is one way to give your home a facelift and make it feel more like your own.
Choosing the right wallpaper can be daunting with so many different colors, patterns, and textures. But with a little planning, you can find the perfect paper to complement your style and transform your space. Here are seven tips to help you get started:
1. Decide on the look you want to achieve.
To begin, ask yourself these questions:
- Do you want something bold and dramatic?
- Subtle and serene?
- Fun and funky?
- Classic and timeless?
Your answers will help you narrow your choices and find a wallpaper that suits your taste. A good example will be a watercolor mural wallpaper if you want something bold or a grasscloth wallpaper if you prefer something subtle.
2. Think about the feel of the room.
The wallpaper you choose should match the overall mood you want to create in the space. For example, lighter colors and patterns are more airy and open, while darker hues can make a room feel cozy and intimate. Texture also plays a role in creating atmosphere. A smooth finish can read as sleek and modern, while textured paper can add warmth and depth.
For instance, a bedroom wallpaper should be soothing and relaxing, while a powder room might be the perfect place to experiment with a fun, bold design.
3. Consider the function of the room.
Some rooms see more wear and tear than others, so it’s crucial to choose a wallpaper that can stand up to the activities that take place there. For example, kitchens and bathrooms (see these British designers wallpapers for bathroom for ideas) are high-traffic areas subject to moisture and heat.
In these rooms, you want to choose a wallpaper that is durable and easy to clean.
Many options are specifically designed for these spaces, such as vinyl-coated paper or washable fabric. For other areas of your home, such as hallways and bedrooms, you have more freedom to select a design that is less durable but still stylish.
4. Create a focal point.
Your wallpaper can help you create a focal point in a room, whether it’s an accent wall or an entire feature wall. To make the most of this design element, choose a wallpaper with a pattern or color that contrasts with the rest of the room.
For example, try a black-and-white print or a bold geometric design if your walls are painted white. If you have neutral-toned walls, go for something with brighter hues or an intricate pattern.
5. Let in the light.
The amount of natural light affects how the wallpaper looks in a room, so consider this when selecting.
A room with many windows might feel too bright for dark wallpaper, while a room with little natural light might benefit from adding a lighter color or print. If you’re unsure, ask for samples so you can test them out in the space before making your final decision.
6. Choose the right type of paper.
In addition to pattern and color, the type of wallpaper you choose will also affect the look and feel of your space. Below are five of the common types of wallpaper:
- Vinyl: This type of wallpaper is durable and easy to clean, making it ideal for high-traffic areas like kitchens and bathrooms. It is also a good choice for rooms with little natural light, as it won’t fade over time.
- Foil: Foil wallpaper has a metallic finish that adds depth and dimension to a room. It is also durable and easy to clean, making it a good choice for high-traffic areas.
- Fabric: Fabric wallpaper is made of natural fibers like linen or silk. It is often more expensive than other types of wallpaper but can add a luxurious feel to a space.
- Hand-painted: As the name suggests, this type of wallpaper is hand-painted, giving it a one-of-a-kind look. It is best used in small spaces or as an accent wall.
- Paste the wall: This type of wallpaper is easy to install, as it doesn’t require pre-mixing of paste. It is also easier to remove than traditional wallpaper.
7. Consider hiring professionals.
Installing wallpaper can be tricky, so it’s vital to ensure it’s done correctly. If you don’t trust your abilities and have the budget, consider hiring a professional to do the job. This will ensure that your wallpaper is installed correctly and looks its best.
Choosing the suitable wallpaper for your home depends on personal taste and style. However, you can follow some general guidelines to ensure that you select a design that is well-suited to the space. Consider the tips above when making your selection, and don’t hesitate to ask for samples from your suppliers so you can see how the wallpaper will look in your home before making a final decision.